There are few things more enjoyable than watching a child’s face light up when they discover a new love. For many parents, finding ways to foster their child’s love of music is a top priority. If you’re looking for ways to introduce your child to music or to encourage their love of music, look no further than these ten amazing picture books!
These picture books about music will introduce your child to a variety of musical styles, instruments, and performers. From classical music to rock n’ roll, these books will have your child dancing, singing, and clapping along in no time.
1. "Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin" by Lloyd Moss This classic picture book introduces young readers to the sounds and instruments of an orchestra, as well as the importance of working together to make beautiful music. The colorful illustrations and catchy rhymes will have kids tapping their toes and humming along.
2. "The Jazz Fly" by Matthew Gollub This jazzy picture book tells the story of a fly who loves to play the trumpet. As he travels around the world, he introduces readers to different styles of jazz and famous jazz musicians. Kids will love the fun illustrations and the catchy rhythm of the words.
3. "Drum Dream Girl" by Margarita Engle This inspiring picture book tells the true story of Millo Castro Zaldarriaga, a young girl from Cuba who dreamed of playing drums at a time when it was considered taboo for girls to do so. The vibrant illustrations and poetic text celebrate the power of following your dreams and breaking down barriers.
4. "M is for Music" by Kathleen Krull This colorful alphabet book introduces young readers to different musical genres, instruments, and performers. Each letter is accompanied by a playful illustration and a brief explanation of the musical concept it represents.
5. "This Jazz Man" by Karen Ehrhardt This lively picture book introduces kids to the world of jazz through the lens of a group of musicians who gather to jam together. Each musician is inspired by a different jazz legend, and the colorful illustrations and catchy rhymes will have kids bouncing along with the beat.
6. "Ella Queen of Jazz" by Helen Hancocks This biography of Ella Fitzgerald tells the inspiring story of her rise from a troubled childhood to become one of the most beloved jazz singers of all time. The colorful illustrations and poetic text celebrate Ella's talent, perseverance, and joy in sharing her music with the world.
7. "The Sound of Music, My Favorite Things" by Rodgers and Hammerstein This classic musical has been adapted into a charming picture book that introduces kids to one of the famous songs. The colorful illustrations and playful text capture the spirit of the beloved film, and young readers will love singing along with the catchy tunes.
8. "Because" by Mo Willems This touching story is sure to move you and your child. Music can be inspiring and so is this book. Mo Willems never disappoints.
9. "What a Wonderful World" by Bob Thiele and George David Weiss This beloved song, made famous by Louis Armstrong, has been adapted into a beautiful picture book that celebrates the beauty and diversity of the world around us. The colorful illustrations and heartfelt lyrics will inspire kids to appreciate the wonder and joy of music and all that it represents.
10. "Little Melba and Her Big Trombone" by Katheryn Russell-Brown This inspiring biography tells the story of Melba Liston, a young girl who fell in love with the trombone and went on to become a renowned jazz musician and composer. The colorful illustrations and poetic text celebrate Melba's talent, determination, and passion for music, and inspire young readers to follow their own dreams.
*Fairy-Tailed is an affiliate of Amazon and earns a small referral when you buy through our site, thank you for supporting us and our mission of spreading the love of reading to future generations*