Picture books are a great way to learn about other cultures. They can help children (and adults!) explore new cultures and learn about different ways of life. They are also a fun and enjoyable way to spend time together.
If you are looking for picture books that will help you explore new cultures, then you have come to the right place. In this article, we have compiled a list of 6 of the best picture books exploring different cultures from around the world. Keep reading to find the perfect book for you!
1. “The Water Princess” by Susan Verde: This picture book tells the story of a young African girl living in a remote village who dreams of having access to clean water. Through her perseverance, her village eventually receives access to clean water. This book has vivid illustrations that portray the story masterfully, while also shining a light on the global water crisis. This book is a powerful reminder that anything is possible if we are willing to work together and fight for what’s right.
2. “Hair Love” by Matthew A. Cherry: This empowering and uplifting story tells the tale of a young African-American girl and her father, who learns how to style her curls and braids. This book celebrates natural hair and encourages young readers to embrace their own unique looks and individuality. The vibrant illustrations showcase the beauty of natural black hair and remind readers of the importance of self-love and self-expression.
3. “The Proudest Blue” by Ibtihaj Muhammad: This is a story about two sisters, Faizah and Asiya, and the powerful bond between them. Faizah starts her first day of school wearing a hijab for the first time, and her sister Asiya is with her every step of the way, offering her support and love. This story is a powerful reminder that we can do anything when we have the support of our loved ones. It also pays homage to the traditions of the Muslim faith, showing readers how embracing our differences can strengthen us.
4. This is How We Do It: One Day in the Lives of Seven Kids from around the World by Matt Lamothe - Great for the classroom or the home, this wonderfully illustrated book can show your child a glimpse into the life of children around the world.
5. Let's Eat!: Mealtime Around the World by Lynn Marie- Mealtime isn't always the same around the world. Show your child how fun meal time looks around the world.
6. Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story by: Kevin Noble Maillard - Food and culture intertwine in this sweet story.
*Fairy-Tailed is an affiliate of Amazon and earns a small referral when you buy through our site, thank you for supporting us and our mission of spreading the love of reading to future generations*