Written by: Sandra Kindt
Illustrated by: Sandra Jessop
Chubbs is a lovely story about a blind cat that learns to trust in her owner as she watches over Chubbs and keeps her safe, just like God watches over us and keeps us safe. If your little one loves cats, they will love this cute story of a stray cat that finds a loving home. I love how within the story there are engaging questions, much like Family Book Club, to help us interact with the story.
Here are some questions to get your minds thinking, after you read this book as a family: (as always, adjust questions as needed for the age range in your household) Some of which are even directly from the book!
1. What else would you have done to find Smoochie, the lost cat at the beginning of the book?
2. Which cat would have picked?
3. Which illustration was your favorite and why?
4. What are things Chubbs can still enjoy even without sight?
5. Why is it important to take animals to the Veterinarian?
6. Have your instincts ever told you anything? Like danger or safety?
7. What type of pet would you like to have?
8. Do you have a parent/guardian that is like a lifeguard in your home?
This is a sweet story of the journey one cat takes as she is rescued by a loving woman. They take care of each other in different ways. As Chubbs looses her sight she has to find other ways to trust, listen for clues, and heighten other senses. After reading this and discussing as a family, try taking turns closing your eyes and snapping to see if you can be led by your ears and trust instead of your eyes. It will be a fun family experiment and is sure to cause some laughter, as well as appreciation for your gift of sight.
You can purchase this wonderful book here: Chubbs a blind cat leans to trust
Author of Fairy-Tailed Wish – Available on Amazon
It’s more than a book. . . it’s a childhood experience to be treasured for a lifetime.