Written by: Patricia Moore
Illustrated by: Doriano Strologo
First Winter has Brian bear struggling with hibernation and giving up his love of basketball all through the winter months. Will he be able to fall asleep for so long? If you have a little one that struggles with nap time this may be a good read for you. Or if you have someone in your family that is passionate about something like basketball (or another sport) that they have trouble putting it down to eat and to do other things, they may be able to relate to Brian as well.
Here are some questions to get your minds thinking after you read this book as a family:
1. Do you know what hibernation is?
2. What is something you are passionate about, like Brian is about basketball?
3. Bears really do love honey, what is your favorite family treat?
4. Do you still take a nap? If not when did you stop?
5. What illustration is your favorite and why?
6. Cuddling with someone is always nice, do you have a favorite stuffed animal or blanket you like to cuddle with?
7. Do you think Brian listened to his parents well?
8. Do you think Brian will get better at basketball if he keeps working hard?
We all have to do things we don’t want to do sometimes. This book helps children see that sometimes parents do know best. It is always easier to watch someone else do something as an outsider than see something from your own actions. Reading this as a family will help your child see that it may not always be fun, but in the end, everything will work out fine.
You can purchase this wonderful book here: First Winter
Author of Fairy-Tailed Wish – Available on Amazon
It’s more than a book. . . it’s a childhood experience to be treasured for a lifetime.