Written by: Ramona Morrow
Many children love animals, this is a fun book to take a literary walk through a pet store with Jamie and his mother. Go with them as they explore all of Jamie’s pet options until he chooses the right friend to take home and love. Your child may learn about a few animals, and if you are trying to decide what pet is right for your family this is the perfect book for you.
Here are some questions to get your minds thinking, after you read this book as a family: (as always, adjust the questions as needed for the age range in your household):
1. Which pet would you choose and why?
2. If you wanted an easy to care for pet which one would you pick?
3. Which do you think is the loudest animal?
4. Which would be the quietest animal?
5. Which illustration is your favorite and why?
6. What would you name the puppy?
7. How do you think the pet shop smells?
8. Do you think Jamie’s mother wants him to get a different pet, why or why not?
9. Do you have any pets? Is it a lot of work?
Jamie is excited to be a pet owner, but it is going to be a lot of work and responsibility. Pets can be very rewarding to own, they are great companions. At the same time, they are a lot of work and very expensive. Come up with a schedule of how your child can prove they are responsible enough to help chip in with caring for an animal. Talk about how long the animal is going to live and the commitment it will be time wise. If possible, pet sit for a week and see how it goes. That is always a great way to have your little one get an idea of what it is like to care for an animal and earn some money.
You can purchase this wonderful book here: Jamie’s Pet
It’s more than a book. . . it’s a childhood experience to be treasured for a lifetime.