Written by: Cynthia Mackey
Illustrated by: Paula Nasmith
We love breakfast in our house. We even love breakfast for dinner, we call it brinner. I think many families also love breakfast, and pancakes are usually a family favorite. Katie Shaeffer is a creative and inventive young girl who is determined to make some delicious pancakes of her own, even though she is not old enough to use the stove. It’s a good thing she collects things to use in her newest invention. Katie and her friend Baxter are off on an adventure and you will be excited to see what happens when they work together and make an invention of their own.
Here are some questions to get your minds thinking, after you read this book as a family: (as always, adjust questions as needed for the age range in your household):
1. What do you like to build?
2. What is your favorite breakfast food?
3. Have you ever made pancakes?
4. Which illustrations is your favorite and why?
5. Is there something you like to collect?
6. If you could invent something what would it be?
7. Would you want to go to the party?
8. At the store what would you choose off the shelf?
9. How many pages can you find the dog on?
Working together Katie and Baxter had fun and success. Work together and use the pancake recipe at the back of the book to make some “Golden brown, fluffy as a cloud, perfectly round, Pancakes!” Cooking with kids is a fun way to spend time together. It is also a great way to teach them about working together, taking turns, and so many other life skills. You can even add in chocolate chips or blueberries just for fun.
You can purchase this wonderful book here: Katie Shaeffer Pancake Maker
It’s more than a book. . . it’s a childhood experience to be treasured for a lifetime.