By: Beth Cusack
I remember as a child getting down and dirty in the kitchen. Making Monster Soup brings that feeling of creativity and imagination back as you let children experiment and do something they have, most likely, dreamed about doing. This book encourages children to get into the kitchen, with adult permission and supervision, and mix up a creation or random ingredients just for fun. What a great way to incorporate all of our senses! Read, then use your hands, and noses. . . you could even taste a few of the ingredients before mixing them in. We all have items around the kitchen that we no longer need, or rarely use, that we can set out for them to smell, taste, and see how they mix together. It is like a giant science experiment. . . the book does end with encouraging words about cleaning up after yourself.
Here are some questions to get your minds thinking after you read this book as a family:
1. Which monster character was your favorite and why?
2. Why do you think water separates from the grease?
3. They used salt and paprika, have you tasted these before?
4. What is your favorite spice?
5. Using food coloring is fun, do you know what colors mix to make new colors?
6. What do you think would sink or float in this mixture?
7. What noise do you think it would make when you stir it?
8. What noise do you think it would make if you poured it?
9. How do you think it would smell?
10. Would you taste it?
11. They make cleaning look fun; how do you make cleaning fun?
12. Which illustration is your favorite and why?
Overall, this book is great because it includes an activity that you can do on any day. It will create a lasting memory for you and your child to look back on for years to come. Research has shown that using many senses helps to learn to be more useful and meaningful. Sensory activities, like this, stimulate your child and encourage the scientific process while they play. If you are getting down and dirty with them it is also a bonding experience so make sure you snap a few pictures to look back on and smile for years to come.
Buy your copy today! Making Monster Soup can be purchased on Amazon: Making Monster Soup
Author of: Fairy-Tailed Wish – Available on Amazon
It’s more than a book. . . it’s a childhood experience to be treasured for a lifetime.