Written by: Maxine Rose Schur
Illustrated by: Jeanne B. de Sainte Marie
Close your eyes and imagine you are off on a European vacation to Paris, France! Marielle in Paris will teach you about landmarks as you travel the streets of Paris in search of fashion. This is a fun and creative book that is sure to be read again and again. Your children will love to flip back and forth after reading it the first time to try and discover where little mouse Marielle discovered her inspiration for each dress she designed while she tours Paris. Then they will flip through again to discover landmarks as they look over the map in the back. Clever and fun!
Here are some questions to get your minds thinking, after you read this book as a family: (as always, adjust questions as needed for the age range in your household):
1. Which of the three dresses on the first page are your favorite and why?
2. Can you find items you recognize in Marielle’s flowerpot home that you use for something different?
3. Why do you think she went out to find inspiration?
4. Which sailboat would you want to ride on? How many can you count?
5. Which illustration is your favorite and why?
6. Have you ever been brave to accomplish a goal for someone else?
7. How would you have fixed the hole in the dress differently?
8. Which instrument in the band would you want to play?
9. Can you tell what inspired each dress?
10. Did you find all the monuments in the book?
This is a fun book full of adventure, fashion, and fun! You will be able to join in the journey as you look for clues as to where Marielle came up with her inspiration for fashion and also learn about Paris along the way. Don’t miss the opportunity to discuss overcoming your fears, especially when it means you can save the day for something you have committed to doing for someone else. You can also address creative problem-solving methods. Marielle took time to panic and be sad, but then she focused on a solution. After reading this story look for inspiration around your home, or go for a walk, and then do some sketches of your own dresses and see what inspires your own mouse fashion!
You can purchase this wonderful book here: Marielle in Paris
Author of Fairy-Tailed Wish – Available on Amazon
It’s more than a book. . . it’s a childhood experience to be treasured for a lifetime.