Mister Sleepy, Sleeping the Day Away
Written by: Jane Alice
Illustrated by: Andy Yura
Mister Sleepy is sure to get a few giggles out of your child as he sleeps the day away in this cute picture book. We all have days we would just like to take a nap, but that is every day for Mister Sleepy. He can never seem to get enough sleep or take too many naps. Mister Sleepy decides he would like to take a much-needed vacation and he has never been on a train ride. Things do not quite go as planned for this sleepy little character and there are a few twists and turns. When he returns from his trip, he has to get ready for his first day of work. You will have to read to find out what type of job a sleepy guy could possibly hold.
Here are some questions to get your minds thinking, after you read this book as a family: (as always, adjust questions as needed for the age range in your household):
1. Ask your parent/guardian if you were a good sleeper as a baby?
2. Science is Mister Sleepy’s favorite subject, what is yours?
3. Have you ever been on a train? If so, where did you go? If not, where would you want to go?
4. What do you think Mister Sleepy looks like? Use your imagination.
5. Have you ever been to the beach?
6. Where would you want to go on vacation?
7. What was your favorite illustration and why?
8. What do you think the perfect job for Mister Sleepy would be?
9. Which of the jobs listed would you want to do?
This is a fun book and a great chance to talk about the importance of sleep. After reading this book talk about how much sleep your body needs to be healthy. You can talk about how at different ages your body needs different amounts of sleep. Babies need more sleep than bigger kids, when did you stop napping, elderly sometimes start napping again, etc. If your children want to keep growing and be healthy and happy, they need to get good sleep. You can also discuss healthy sleep habits, like no screen time before bed, brushing your teeth before bed, eating healthy, and having a bedtime routine.
You can purchase this wonderful book here: Mister Sleepy
Author of Fairy-Tailed Wish – Available on Amazon
It’s more than a book. . . it’s a childhood experience to be treasured for a lifetime.