Written by: Richard Cohen
Illustrated by: Nathan Monção
Zoe is a perceptive young girl who is onto her parent’s secret, and she has evidence to back up her theory. My Super Parents is a cute book about Zoe providing the evidence needed to her class that her parents have superpowers. They are able to protect her from harm, read her mind when she is up to no good, and even be a healer. This is a fun story to talk about all the wonderful things you do for your children and the ways it helps them, even when they may not want you to be there. . . to stop them from eating more pie or sweets.
Here are some questions to get your minds thinking, after you read this book as a family: (as always, adjust questions as needed for the age range in your household)
1. Has it ever felt like your parent/guardian is reading your mind?
2. Does Zoe’s favorite meal look yummy? What is your favorite meal?
3. How do your parents/guardians protect you?
4. Have you ever been sick, how do you get taken care of?
5. Can you match the little kids in the class with the big kids at the end of the book?
6. Which illustration is your favorite and why?
7. Is there a superpower your parent/guardian has that Zoe didn’t list?
8. Do you think you will be a parent? If so, what superpower will you use?
The illustrations in this book are fun and engaging. My daughter loved that the little kids in the class at career day grew up in the end of the book. This book is a great opportunity to talk about how parents/guardians are special. Role play after reading this book and pick a scene. Let your child be the parent and you be the child. Act like you scraped your knee and let them be the healer and ask how does it feel to ease someone else’s pain and stop the crying. They can pretend to put a Band-Aid on, kiss you, wipe your tears, and make everything better. It can be an empowering feeling to be in charge of even a fake emergency situation, and children learn a lot from role playing.
You can purchase this wonderful book here: My Super Parents
Author of Fairy-Tailed Wish – Available on Amazon
It’s more than a book. . . it’s a childhood experience to be treasured for a lifetime.