Written by: Chandra A Clements
Illustrated by: Tara Rose
The impact of the coronavirus can be felt by young and old. This book is a great way to see it through the eyes of a child, and help other children understand it a little better as well. Written by a mother and illustrated by her four-year-old daughter, this simple and adorable book shows how life has changed and why. We may be playing hide and seek from the virus, but it is to protect others (as well as ourselves). Look out COVID-19 you can’t win this game of hide and seek!
Here are some questions to get your minds thinking, after you read this book as a family: (as always, adjust questions as needed for the age range in your household)
1. Have you ever painted with a straw like Tara?
2. How has life changed for you?
3. Where do you like to hide when you play hide and seek?
4. Which illustration is your favorite and why?
5. What do you like best about staying home more?
6. How many footprints can you count on the page opposite of the hide and seek illustration?
7. Do you wear a mask to stay safe?
8. Who are you protecting from the virus when you stay home?
This is a great book to help children understand in a gentle way why we are socially distancing to keep ourselves and others safe. Take this time to talk about the perks of being together as a family more. Do you get to watch more family movies? Play more family games? Do more crafts? After reading together as a family let your little one make some similar illustrations with a straw and paint, and then markers. Talk to them about mixed media art. It is always fun to try new ways to create art.
You can purchase this wonderful book here: Rona Stole My Fun!
Author of Fairy-Tailed Wish – Available on Amazon
It’s more than a book. . . it’s a childhood experience to be treasured for a lifetime.