The Kissing Hand
By: Audrey Penn
Illustrations by Ruth E. Harper and Nancy M. Leak
This book is a must read for every family. It is geared towards children that have a fear of leaving for school for the first time, however the lesson is much deeper. The Kissing Hand is a beautiful story with lovely illustrations. This is a bonding book that is sure to be read over and over. Here are some great questions to include in your Family Book Club Night: (As always adjust the questions for the age of your children)
1. Have you ever felt nervous for something new? How did you cope?
2. What helps remind you that we always love you?
3. We always remember you love us by…
4. Why did the raccoon go to school at night?
5. What did you like about the illustrations?
6. What is another title you would have used?
7. How do you think the kiss stays even when you wash your hands?
8. What was your favorite part of the book?
Taking the time to discuss the book is a great way to let children think a little deeper about a story. It is also an opportunity (in this case) to remind them how much you love them. This is an opportunity to discuss ways to cope with stressful and new situations. This could even be a new one to implement into your own life. Audrey Penn also used raccoons as her main characters adding a new twist as they are nocturnal creatures and go to school at night.
Overall, this is a great book to learn about love and life. It is nice to show children that as parents we think about them when they are away as well. We love them unconditionally and the love is continuous even when we are not together.
You can buy this wonderful book here: The Kissing Hand
Author of, Fairy-Tailed Wish
You can purchase Fairy-Tailed Wish here: Amazon