The Peculiar Pig
By: Joy Steuerwald
I may be biased being a PIGhetti, but I do love good book about a pig. Joy Steuerwald brings the farm to life in this adorable book. Your children will love the expressions on the piglets faces and the uniqueness of each and every one in the litter. This adventure ends in bravery and knowing that being different can be the best thing of all.
Here are some questions to get your minds thinking after you read this book as a family:
1. At first did you think the Mama Pig was including Penny as a piglet?
2. If you could pick a name which name would you pick? Or would you make up your own name?
3. How was Penny unique?
4. How are you unique?
5. How did Penny uniqueness help all the piglets in the end?
6. Look back at the picture, how is each piglet a little unique and special in their own way? Just like in life everyone is different.
7. Would you have wanted to get in all that mud? Or do you prefer to stay clean?
8. How could you tell the piglets were scared of the snake?
9. How was Penny brave?
This is a great book to highlight how everyone in your family is a little different. Go over one unique and positive attribute you each bring to the family. Maybe it is humor, kindness, empathy, listening, being helpful, or something else. Everyone is unique and that is what we love about the world. How boring would it be if we everyone was the same?
I was able to check out this book from our local library. But if you are looking to purchase this book, it is available here: The Peculiar Pig